History Of Friendship Day
No one in the world can give or justify the universal definition of friendship everyone has their own feelings and emotions when it comes to its definition. Friends play a very important and valuable role in our life so just to let them know about it and we celebrate this day to thanks them for what they do for us.
The United States Congress, in 1935, proclaimed first Sunday of August as the National Friendship Day to dedicate a day in the honour of friends. Since then this day became an annual event. Following the popularity and success of friendship in the US, several other countries adopted the tradition of dedicating a day to friends. Who remembers the cartoon Winnie The Pooh? Definately, many of you so 1997, The United Nations named Winnie-the Pooh as the ambassador of the world of friendship.
There was also an another story which states that after world war 2 everything was in its devastating nature there was dispute among individuals hatred among people and hence the US congress felt that steps are needed to be taken so that there could be more trust and understanding not just between nations but even the people of different countries.
So they decided to have a friendship day on the first Sunday of August as friendship day and officially declared the occasion a holiday dedicated in the honour of friends and friendship. It’s not me and you it’s not they and their friends but it’s about the one who holds the value to respect this feeling and that’s why it has its own importance It is interesting to note here that by giving the festival different names and holding it in times unlike that of the actual festival.
As national friendship day is held on the first Sunday in august then women’s friendship day on third Sunday of august old friend’s day on the third week of May new friends week and February the month of love is designated as the international friendship day.
As friends choose different gifts and expenses materials to honour their friends hence companies indulge in aggressive marketing to target youngsters, whereas these all are considered to be the source of mere formality. Even many restaurants and hotels offer discount offers on such special occasions. The popular way to celebrate friendship days includes handing over roses, especially the pink and the yellow one card and other gift items for their friends.
The popular activity that is common amongst all is giving friendship band to their close one as to mark an everlasting bond. Girls go for friendship bracelets instead of wristbands and are available in fascinating type. Since 1935, friendship day and its celebrations have come a long way, but the idea behind is still the same and will remain the same forever.
It’s a sign of love that one friend possesses towards the other one. We don’t need a special day to make our friends feel special loved and care about but it gives a chance to express and pour out your heart about your feelings regarding your friend.
It is not merely a relationship but a unique blend of trust affection love that we show when they are actually indeed of that .friendship is something which by which you feel free to be yourself. It is something that teaches you to live.
Why Friendship day is celebrated?
As we all know that Friendship day is on its way and everyone is very excited to celebrate this in their own way. Friendship is a feeling an emotion. It’s something that touched our heart in every aspect of our life. It’s easy to find and have friends but hard to have a friendship because true friendship is hard to find and those are lucky who have such.
Friends are those who don’t help us to hide our pain but they help to heal our pain. They are those precious gifts who understand our silence even, the one who can feel and at the same time heel the pain of ours. So in honour to present them for what they do for us we celebrate this day.
When friendship day is celebrated?
Traditionally if we talk about so the friendship day is celebrated on the first Sunday of August moreover we can say that one day is not enough to present our heart to anyone especially when it comes to friendship,the whole year, every month, every week and every second we hold this emotion and feeling with us but just to show that yes we really care about you and to honour the friends who are always there for us no matter what we celebrate it.
Do you know about the Importance of friendship day?
Remember the famous dialogue “JO TERA HA VO MERA HAI JO MERA HAI VO TERA” this dialogue shows the trust and faithful bond between the two souls. We are not your parents we are just your friend’s fell free to tell and share everything to us.
Because they believe that being friends is vital for the relationship to work. After all, no one can deny the fact that friendship is something which we can’t express, the hardest thing in the world to explain. Friends are someone who is there to make you smile when you are sad, someone who walks along with you when you are alone, and a song when you are glad.
A true friend is someone who is there for you when you have lost everything and when everyone walks out at the time when you actually need them.
Friends are just like our open secret diary to us. Friendship is all about affection, love, romance, protection, guidance, joy and promises. Lord Krishna in Mahabharata is the biggest example of the friendship of all times. Friendship is beyond money, caste, colour, religion and sex. True friendship is a treasure to unearth. If you don’t have friends then you are just having a life but when you have friends you live life. Friends are someone we all need for our lives to be complete.
Some Unknown Facts About Friendship Day
- There are many stories behind friendship day celebration from which one of the stories says that it was originally promoted by JOYCE HALL, who is the founder of hallmark cards in 1919 and intended on first Sunday of august to be a day where people celebrated their friendship.
- Another story depicts that it was first proposed by DR.ARTEMIO BRACHO during a dinner with friends.
- The General Assembly of the United Nation on 27 April 2011 declared 30 July as official friendship day.
- Basically there is no specific date for the day but mostly it is celebrated on the first Sunday of August.
- Popularly this day is celebrated by exchanging wristbands, flowers, greeting cards with each other as an honour to present affection and love.
- United States Congress announced the first Sunday of August to be celebrated as National friendship day.
- Social and cultural organization too marks their presence for the special day by organising small parties and get together.
- The Bible reflects upon friendship as the bond that gives birth to human faith, trust and compassion.
- Even infamous Hindu epic “Mahabharata” the true definition of friendship can be seen between the bond of Sudama and Lord Krishna beyond any disparities.
- In honour to protect the rights of animals best friend’s animal society celebrates best friend’s weekend every year from 23 to 25 June.
- The love month February is classified as an international friendship month.
- The United Nations in 1997 named Winnie-the Pooh as the world ambassador of friendship day.
- With a little help from my friends the song that deals with the theme of friendship was released by Beatles in 1967.
- Even science to agree with the fact that having no friend can be dangerous to your health.
- Even though scientifically it has been researched and proven than the company of good friends reduces stress in life.
- 3 Idiots, Chiller Party, Purani Jeans Yariyan, Sholey are some of the movies which depict the importance of friendship in true sense with pure love affection and true emotions of friends towards each other.
- According to a 10-year study by the centre for ageing at Flinders University, a strong network of friends is more important than close family relatives for prolonging life.
- Imagine the beauty of this emotion and it is beyond anything. Can you imagine this world without any friends? Whether we accept it or not, we need friends in all phases of life. We need them through the highs and the lows, during our emotional, social or physical breakdown we need them all the way long The interesting thing is that even science agrees to all these.
- Yaaron Dosti Badi Hi Hassen Hai, Tera Jaisa Yaar Kaha, Yari Hai Iman Mera Yaar Meri Zindagi are some of the iconic songs without which this day in incomplete that help us to understand the true spirit of friendship, to remind us why our true friends are vital to us.
- It is not necessary that only the living objects can be our friends it can be any a book, our pet, our plant etc.the only thing we need to have is love and affections and a trustworthy bond with them.
Remember the dialogue “MAIN HOON NA” that is what rely us on our friends and makes our friendship stronger. Dialogue from the movie Dil Chahta Hai “YA TOH DOSTI GEHRI HAI, YAA PHIR YEH PHOTO 3D HAI” depicts of what friendship is all about. There is peace in friendship. Friendship is something that never dies whereas it’s a forever gift in someone’s life…so what are you waiting for? Catch your friends and before it’s too late tell them that you are always there for them no matter what after all, TERA YAAR HOON MAIN…..