MCA or the Ministry of Corporate Affairs is a ministry under the government of India. Comprising mainly of the Indian Corporate Law Service officers cadre, this ministry’s main responsibility is to look after the Indian enterprises in the Industrial and Services sector.
The Ministry of Corporate Affairs concerns itself with the administration of many acts. Some of the major acts that MCA administers are as follows:
- The Companies Act, 2013
- The Companies Act, 1956
- Insolvency And Bankruptcy Code, 2016
- The Competition Act, 2002
- The Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Act 1969
- The Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 (After the 2006 amendment)
- The Company Secretaries Act, 1980 (After the 2006 amendment)
- Cost and Works Accountants Act, 1959 (After the 2006 amendment)
- Companies (Donation to National) Fund Act 1951
- The Indian Partnership Act, 1932
- Societies Registration Act, 1860
- The Companies Amendment Act, 2006
- The Limited liability Partnership Act, 2008
MCA also protects investors and offers many important services to stakeholders. The MCA portal acts as a gateway to all services, guidance, and other corporate affairs related information. The Ministry of Corporate Affairs extends its services to the masses through the MCA portal.
Finding Your MCA Company name
The step by step guide to check the status of your company’s registration is given below. You just need to follow a set of simple steps to get the status and many other details about the company. The steps that one has to follow are as follows:
Visit the official MCA website on your browser. The link for the official website is http://www.mca.gov.in/
Once you open the home page of the official website, you will see a tab reading ‘MCA services’. Click on the tab and a drop-down list will appear.
In the drop-down list, find the option of ‘View Company or LLP Master Data’ in the drop-down list.
Once you click on that option, the website will take you to a page where you will have to enter the CIN code of the company. Also, you will have to enter a captcha code shown. On entering the CIN and the captcha, click on the Submit button.
On clicking on the submit, a list of details will get displayed on your screen. The details that you will get are as follows:
- Name of Company
- Company category
- Class of company
- Date of Incorporation
- Authorised and paid-up capital
- Number of members
- Date of incorporation
- Registered address and e-mail
- Assets under charge
- Details of all the directors of the company
How to check if a company is MCA registered?
Each company that gets its registration done through MCA is given a unique CIN number or the Company Incorporation Number. To check whether a company has its registration done through on MCA or not, just ask for the unique CIN number of the company. Search using the CIN on the official website of MCA. If you can get the name of the company using the CIN, you can be sure that the company is MCA registered. If the name and the details of the company do not appear using the CIN, the company is not MCA registered. Another thing to notice is that details of only LLP, Private Limited Company and Public Company Limited can be obtained through the MCA portal. If a company has the status of Sole Proprietorship or Partnership Firm its details cannot be found on the MCA portal.
Governing body of the portal:
The MCA portal is governed and looked after by the ministry of corporate affairs. the Ministry is headed by the BJP (Bhartiya Janta Party) minister, Srimati Nirmala Sitharaman. The Minister of State for Corporate Affairs is Anurag Singh Thakur. the ministry works under the jurisdiction of the Republic of India and has its headquarters at the Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi.
MCA21 Company Law:
The mInistry of Corporate Affairs has adopted a new approach to extend its services to more people. This new approach is the e-Governance initiative of MCA21. Through this, the users can get easy and secure access to all the services that the Ministry of Corporate Affairs offers. Be it getting the registration of their companies done, knowing the name of the company, checking the status or anything else.
Through this initiative, many processes related to corporate affairs have been automated. For example, those related to the compliance and enforcement of the affairs under the Companies Act, 1956, New Companies Act, 2013, and LLP (Limited Liability Partnership) Act, 2008.
Advantages from MCA21:
The major benefits that this e-Governance portal offers to the business entities and to the citizens are as follows:
- Through the MCA21 portal, business communities or entities can easily and securely register their companies and complete their statutory obligations.
- The portal will help the users get quick solutions to their complains and problems through an online platform.
- The MCA21 will also provide an easy access to public documents. Thus, getting a document won’t be that tedious from now on.
- The registration process will become easy.
- The companies and the business communities will very easily be able to check the status of their application through the MCA21 portal.
The MCA21 application offers the following.